Tuesday, July 28, 2026

Venting about the Silent Hill Series and its "fans"...


Time to vent about one of my favorite video game series, Silent Hill. Anyways, lately I have been seeing people online who have never played Silent Hill (but claim to be fans) telling other people that if you like Silent Hill 2 Remake for instance that you aren't a true fan. First of all, who the fuck are you and why can't you let people enjoy things? Second, actually go play some of the game before you claim to be a fan of something. Now I know some people are too scared to play Silent Hill and would rather watch someone play it and that's fine, you can be a fan of the series, but I am talking about people who literally claim to be fans and have never once touched any of the games and maybe saw one video online and suddenly made it their whole personality. Its fucking weird and its not just Silent Hill. I've seen it with Resident Evil "fans" as well. Lately these people are being called "Larpers" (Live Action Role Play--ers) but I think that isn't the right term because Larping is a real thing for people who want to do Fantasy Role Play in Real Life and that's fine. Those people are cool. Honestly, the correct term for these people should be "imposters/pretenders" because that is what they are doing, they are jumping in to a fandom and literally gate keeping it from people like myself who have played Silent Hill since the original PS1 so I would love to have some bitch in their Mom's basement tell me I am not a real fan of the series.


Yea go ahead and tell me I ain't a real fan...

Anyways, I want to talk about some of the crap I have been reading from these people who claim to be fans while gate keeping the series if you disagree with them.


For starters, no one is taking the original games away from you, if you prefer those games to the Remake Bloober Team did then that's fine, but its really rude to shit all over an amazing game because you feel it somehow is destroying your enjoyment of the original. The original games will always be there, I have them as well and I can load them up on my PS2 anytime I want. I understand not everyone has that luxury sadly, and emulation is certainly an option. I would recommend that over the HD Collection because Konami didn't have the source code for those, I honestly with Konami just sent the games on PS1-PS2 to a studio that could reverse engineer the contents of the final discs but I don't know much about how that works. It would be better than what we got with the HD Collection because those versions run like ass. The voice acting was ruined for unknown reasons.


Another thing I keep hearing is how Silent Hill 2 Remake is way too long and features forced combat sections. So, you are trying to tell me Silent Hill 2 OG had no forced combat at all? Oh wait, what about the bosses? Seriously? I mean if you want to challenge yourself and kill nothing go right ahead but most people aren't gonna play like that. You really come off as nitpicky when you use that as an excuse why the remake was bad. I personally love how much was added in the remake. We get to explore Silent Hill more, which I am down for. Who doesn't want to experience more of Silent Hill? I do know this game is not one you can finish in a day like the original game, but that is fine in my opinion. It doesn't ruin the experience for me.

I know I'll probably get shit for this, but again, THIS IS MY OPINION.  It is not fact and if that's the direction the series is gonna go in then whatever, it's fine, I guess. I am not a fan of games taking place outside of Silent Hill. The game series is called SILENT HILL. That's like making a Final Fantasy game with no Chocobos, no Magic, no Moogles, nothing to tie it to what makes it Final Fantasy. And I know what some people will say?

"Oh but the fog is there and the main character will be punished with monsters."

Okay, that's Silent Hill 2, why are we still trying to repeat Silent Hill 2? You do know other games exist besides Silent Hill 2 right?

What did Harry need to be punished for?
What did Heather need to be punished for?

Harry was experiencing Alessa's nightmare unintentionally because she was projecting it on the town by accident because of her merging back with Cheryl (her other half.)

Heather was experiencing the nightmare caused by the God that was growing inside of her projecting the nightmare around her despite not being in Silent Hill which is fine because the God is able to bleed the Otherworld in to our own dimension.

Anyways going back to my point of Silent Hill games taking place outside of Silent Hill, I don't mind if games are made outside of Silent Hill if they make sense. I was okay with Silent Hill f because it was a side story. I tried the game and couldn't enjoy it because I personally did not like the setting and Townfall I may or may not check that one out. I am very excited for Silent Hill 1 Remake and possibly if that does well we may get a Silent Hill 3 Remake. Fingers crossed. I also enjoyed Silent Hill: The Short Message as a side story, HOWEVER, that game introduced something lorewise that makes me cringe.



THE SILENT HILL PHENOMENON

This new lore throws out the lore of the cult (the Order) tainting the ancient power in Silent Hill by birthing their God through Alessa's psychic powers for something far more stupid.

Basically, if you get depressed enough, you'll see fog and monsters will appear. I am not shitting you, that is literally what they came up with just so they can set the game in other places besides Silent Hill. Also it seems like they just want to regurgitate Silent Hill 2 over and over again by just having people who did bad shit or are experiencing shit and need to be punished for it. That worked in Silent Hill 2 because James killed his wife. And guess what we did that with Homecoming and Downpour and those games sucked because the developers who made those games didn't understand what they were even making. No offense, just saying.

Bloober really proved to me with the Silent Hill 2 Remake that they understand the source material and I would be happy to see them take on an original Silent Hill title, granted if they fuck up Silent Hill 1 remake then I will feel differently.

So yea I am not a big fan of the Silent Hill Phenomenon, it basically retcons the cult (The Order) and says if you get depressed enough then you will go through hell. Fun. Its really stupid. You can feel differently than me but that's just how I feel and that's okay because we are all allowed to have different opinions.


I really hope Bloober doesn't trim the Remake of 1 down because people are upset with how padded Silent Hill 2 was. I want to see and do more in Silent Hill 1 just like I did in Silent Hill 2 Remake. Give me more, I love it. Anyways, I had to get that off my chest. Sorry about some of the tangents, I am a huge lore nerd for Silent Hill so I love seeing the speculation and theories people craft in the Silent Hill community but when people say things like "Pyramid Head" can be in any game and isn't tied to just James, this is my theory and no one can tell me I am wrong. Well no offense but you are wrong, Masahiro Ito will tell you are wrong and he's part of Team Silent so deal with it. Some things in Silent Hill are up for speculation, for example when James goes in to the Silent Hill Historical Society building and walks down the stairs which seems to go in to the lake, is he still in the real world of has he been transported to another dimension? Is he really just standing in the building and hallucinating because the tainted power of the town? That is up for speculation. But Pyramid Head being anything other than a manifestation of James guilt and James urge to be punished for what he did to his wife, that is not up for debate. That is a fact. Just like Pyramid Head does not exist unless James is there so when he (Pyramid Head) shows up in games like Homecoming its ridiculous and nothing but fan service.

No comments:

Post a Comment